Monday, April 28, 2014

Chocolate Oatmeal Peanut Butter Bars


When this yummy popped up on my Face Book feed I had to take a second look. It didn't take me long to realize I needed to make these bars immediately! Like right now, luckily all the ingredients are pantry staples at my house. They came together quickly and baked in 20 minutes. I couldn't resist and tasted a very warm bite--amazing but messy. I put the pan in the fridge till the chocolate cooled. I cut them in good sized bars, wrapped them in parchment and then put them in a cute paper bag. Just the perfect treat for a friends birthday or just for no reason.
Thanks Mel from Mel's Kitchen Cafe--this was just perfect! I adore her blog!

Chocolate Oatmeal Peanut Butter Bars
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup butter---softened
1/3 cup peanut butter, I use crunchy but choose your favorite
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, this is 3.5 ounces
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 cup peanut butter chips--I only use Reese's
1 cup chocolate chips--I tried 60% Bittersweet, yummy but next time I might try milk chocolate and go with a peanut butter cup in mind. Use the chocolate you love but don't skimp on the peanut butter chips.

In a medium bowl mix together the flour soda, salt and oatmeal, whisk well.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together the butter, peanut butter and sugars. Mix well, about 3 minutes. Mix in the egg and egg yolk and the vanilla until combined.
Gently stir in the dry ingredients and chips. Mix until just combined--don't over mix.
Press batter in a greased 9x13 pan. I use my small offset scraper to even out stif batter.
Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes. Mine took the full 20 minutes. Bars should just begin to brown around the edges--don't over bake--they will be dry
Printable Recipe.

6 comments:

Mary Callan said...

Oh Cindy! how can you do this to me - they look SO good - I'd eat the lot!
Mary

Nedra said...

I think I need to make these for my grandchildren this week while I babysit :)

Medeja said...

That is a great recipe! I must try these bars :)

Lois Evensen said...

They look marvelous!

Debra Eliotseats said...

Great recipe for all the coming picnics, cookouts and BBQs!!!!!! Easy to make, easy to serve, and easy to eat!

Laura@Baking in Pyjamas said...

Visiting from Marvelous Monday. They look so yummy, I could eat one right now. I co-host Sweet and Savoury Sunday and would love for you to stop by and share these and other recipes with us . Have a great day!