Pages

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Chicken Taco Salad


According to Pioneer Woman you can make this meal in 16 minutes! That may be stretching it a bit but with a helper you could pull it off in no time. This is the perfect season for this salad, fresh corn and tomatoes make it wonderful. I served it for my dinner group and it got rave reviews.

Chicken Taco Salad
Dressing
3/4 cup Ranch Dressing (I used Lighthouse but I'm sure you could make your own)
1/4  cup Salsa--I used Pace Medium Salsa
3 tablespoons finely minced Cilantro
Mix together and refrigerate, covered.

Chicken
2 Chicken Breasts or 6-8 Tenders
2 tablespoons Taco Seasoning, I used this recipe, it is my new favorite recipe--check it out. But I'm sure you can use packaged Taco Seasoning
2 tablespoons Butter
1 tablespoon Oil
Generously season chicken with Taco Seasoning. Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken, cook till golden brown on both sides and done in the middle. Remove chicken, allow to cool and dice.
Place the ears of corn in the skillet and roll around, cook on medium high until it has a bit of a charred look. Slice off the kernels with a sharp knife

Salad
Shredded greens--I used romaine, spinach and Napa. That is what was in the crisper, Napa is a Chinese cabbage, it has a mild flavor and a light crunch, I use it often. I shred the greens with a sharp Chef's knife and put them in a salad spinner. I like to prepare salad greens in the morning and let them chill. This gives you a great jump on dinner. Or use a package of prewashed greens.
sliced green onions
julienne carrots
diced red pepper
diced tomato
sliced olives
shredded pepper jack cheese
diced avocado
chopped cilantro
slightly crushed tortilla chips
2 ears of corn
I like to serve this 'Salad Bar' style. Put the greens, green onions, carrots and cilantro in a large bowl. Put chicken, corn, red peppers, tomatoes, olives, shredded cheese and avocado in small bowls. Let each person make their own salad--just the way they like it! Top salads with dressing and crushed tortilla chips. This salad is beautiful platted on a large platter, it is so fresh and colorful.
Printable Recipehttps://sites.google.com/site/everydayinsanitywithcindy/chicken-taco-salad-1
This is my new favorite salad. For very detailed step by step instructions check out Pioneer Woman.

1 comment:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

YUM! Sounds like a terrific, EASY dinner. Hope you have a terrific holiday weekend, Cindy! xo