Pages

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Bahama Chicken Soup and Tortilla Strips


I have never been to the Bahamas but I can see myself sitting under a coconut tree enjoying this flavorful soup. I found the recipe in a 30 Minute Meal cookbook by a local Utah author Shauna Evans.  I marked several recipes that look interesting.
The trick to making this meal in 30 minutes is to have a Rotisserie chicken on hand. I didn't have one but quickly cooked some frozen chicken tenders (that I always have). I added more veggies and cut the recipe down so we only ate it for 3 meals.
I had my doubts about the Tortilla Strips--I usually purchase packaged Wonton or Tortilla Strips but I didn't have any on hand and I did have some close to date tortillas in the fridge. The garlic butter gave them a great flavor and they really did get crispy.
I was happy with the final dish and quickly wrote the recipe down so I could share it with you.
Here is my version of:
Bahama Chicken Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced red or yellow pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon seeded and minced jalapeno pepper
3 cups chicken broth
1 can unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 can petite diced tomatoes--or 2 diced Roma tomatoes
1/2 can diced green chilies
2 cups diced cooked chicken, seasoned with salt and pepper
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
juice from 1 lime
In a stockpot heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, red peppers, garlic and jalapeƱo. Cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
Add chicken broth, coconut milk, tomatoes, green chilies, carrots, salt and pepper. Cook on medium low heat until carrots are crisp tender.
Add cilantro and lime juice.
Garnish with Tortilla Strips.


Tortilla Strips
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
flour tortillas
Mix melted butter, garlic and salt. Brush on both sided of tortillas. With a pizza cutter, cut in 1/2 inch strips. Spread on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes, turning once.
Printable Recipe




No comments: